Monday, February 22, 2010

Ice, Ice Baby ...

Especially since I'm feeling a little bit under the weather - the nip in the air is going right through me. I am not much for medicines so I rely heavily on food to get me better. I don't mind taking vitamins but if my stomach is queasy - a belly full of vitamins just doesn't sit right. Cooking chicken soup - using bullions for my stock seasoning & frozen along with fresh veggies & I'm going to go with instant brown rice rather than pasta and along with some bread I made last week & my Mr. will think I spent 1/2 the day cooking and will reward me with a foot rub. *Wink* But for now I'm bundled to the hilt, listening to Into the Mystic by Van Morrison and the rain outside and eating some granola I made last week. This recipe is sooo simple and soo delicious.
 All you'll need is: 4 c of rolled oats, 1/2 c oil (I use olive), 1/2 c water, 2 tbsp honey, 1 tsp vanilla - this is your base - everything else is flexible. Mix your liquids together along with the oats and any seeds or nuts (I put in flax and sunflower) you want to put in 1/4 to 1 cup of each, and if you want any coconut flakes, bran flakes or spices (I use ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg) add it now. I don't put salt in my food but you can add about 1tsp. Spread in a large lasagna container (so that when you stir - none spills out) in a slow oven (300*) stirring every 15 mins for about 1 hr to 1 1/4hrs (until the ixture is golden brown and slightly crunchy). Cool the pan on a wire rack and then  * AND ONLY THEN * do you add your fruits (I put 1 c each of raisins and apricots) or the fruit will get gummy YUK!! Store in an airtight container and enjoy anytime. I even put mine over yogurt but mostly I eat it with milk or almond milk. YUM - YUM!! My Mr eats it with his hands so I don't break up the chunks too much so they are more like nuggets. It is relatively inexpensive because you don't need to by anything fancy for it and a bit healthy since you can monitor what goes in it. You could use less oil and use fruit juice instead but you will need to play with it. I just like the fact I can read every single ingredient - I hate prepared foods that I don't know what is in it. Well, I'm ready for a second bowl. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment