Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ickiness

I mentioned in my previous post that my sweet darling Mr has a case of the cooties *o*  He takes about a trillion vitamins a day. OK maybe not a trillion but enough to build a strong immune system. But when he is sick he reaches for Western drug medicine (over-the-counter goodies) YUCK! I on the other hand I am a bit more careless about vitamins but I am the weird one who will write with my own pen only and doesn't like to shake peoples' hand and will wipe down eveeerrrrrrythinggggg. And if (when) I get sick I reach for Eastern medicine (herb/spice teas and other home remedies). These are our go-to recipes for you to try out (disclaimer ... please advise your doctor about changing/adding to your routine)
Recently I have added Ginger into my routine. It is an antioxidant, antiviral and antibacterial. It is used to aid in digestion, lowers cholestoral, reduce joint inflammation, and helps in preventing and treating the cold/flu. For best result make the tea out of fresh ginger root and streep a sliver for 10 mins in a cup of warm water. Sweeten to taste (I use honey because it has its own antibacterial properties ... so it is like a double WHAMMY!) I just use 1/2 a tsp of ginger to a 1 - 1 1/2 cups of water and steep. It isn't as strong as it should be but it's drinkable. DON'T DRINK IF ON BLOOD THINNER!!!


IF I get the flu and have phlem issues ... I drink Oregano tea. Yes, like the herb. It is antibacterial and anitfungal. It also is an aid for stomach issues and for treating the flu/cold. I use about 1 tsp of regular dried oregano leaves to about a cup of hot water - steep 8 mins (the leaves will settle to the bottom) and I slooooowly pour the tea into another cup, add honey and drink. I really enjoy this tea but it does take a bit to get use to it. Beware ... this tea is made to break up phlem, so you will notice an increase in coughing to get the gunk out of your system. DON'T USE IF PREGNANT ~ MAY CAUSE CONTRACTIONS!!


Also, if I do have phlem issues (whether from the flu/cold or just allergies when the change of weather comes along) I reduce my diary intake to creamer only ... no warm milk before bed or cheese in my sandwich ... and if it is really bad I cut out coffee since I won't drink it without creamer *tears* Dairy builds up mucus in the system ... it would benefit a person with asthma to cut it entirely out of their diet. Also if you wake up in the morning a bit puffy around the sinus area ... think back to what you had at dinner and before bed (cheese or yogurt) ... you will likely see a decrease in morning puffiness once you cut out the dairy. No disclaimer here ... there is no reason to drink milk ~ especially kids.

Next is a quick antibacterial spray recipe. 91% alcohol in a spray bottle. That was it. I told you it was easy. Isopropyl alcohol kills bacteria by damaging the cell walls of one-celled organisms such as mold, fungi and bacteria (strep throat) . A virus is smaller (and more fragile) than a bacteria and it can not live outside the body's cell longer that 1 - 2 days. You can even put vodka in a spray bottle. But if you don't wish to use alcohol, in anyway, you can use a 50:50 mixture of water and white vinegar. If your family grumbles about the 'lingering scent' add 5 - 15 drops of essential oil (depending on the size of the bottle).  Essential oils have been known for their disinfecting properties; many are antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antimicrobial, and/or antiseptic. You can add a single scent or combine any of the following: cinnamon, clove, lavender, lemon, lemongrass, lime, oregano, rosemary, tea tree, thyme, juniper, eucalyptus, palmarosa, clove, laurel, anise, rose, geranium, neroli, bergamot, clary sage, and dill. You can change the scent for each child (lavender for her and lime for him) or add extra oomph to the cleaner for different rooms (add tea tree oil to your lavender for the bathroom spray or rosemary and thyme for the kitchen). Rememer, if you keep it simple you are more apt to start (and continue) using simple products to maintain the health of your family.

Linked up at Women Living Well







No comments:

Post a Comment