Tuesday, August 19, 2014

New Kitchen Valance and A Bear For The Baby ..

I have finally gotten around to making the curtain for over the sink in the kitchen. As you can see from the picture below that the window is a bit bare. When we bought the house 10 years ago it came with both a valance and blinds over the sink, neither were my style at all, but living with both gave me ideas of what I didn't want when we re-did the kitchen. I didn't want blinds because they would always be up and I didn't want cafĂ© curtains because it would always be wet from the splashing (yes I still wash my dishes by hand) and no to a cornice because well .. I don't like them. So two options were leave it bare or go with a valance. I lived with it bare and it just seemed unfinished. So valance it is.




So with stash in hand I went off to the craft room for a day of sewing and this is what I came up with. A simple valance. I tied up the valance with twine since I am still unsure if I want it as a straight valance or a swag.  IF I keep the swag I will pleat the bottom so that it will hang better and change out the ties. But truthfully I am liking the twine. IF I change it to the straight valance I will shorten it by about 1 1/2".




A few quick tips on how I work with burlap. The open weave of burlap makes it a fairly easy fabric to work worth. NOTE .. burlap isn't your softest fabric and it doesn't drape like other materials - so keep that in mind when selecting this for a curtain. I always tend to go longer in length .. this gives me the ability to play with the fabric more. I would regret it if I am too short and I can always shorten it if it seems too long.


START TO PULL THREAD AT THE LENGHT YOU WANT IT
CONT. TO WORK THREAD BUT DON'T TUG TOO HARD YOU DON'T WANT TO BREAK THE THREAD
 


CUT BELOW THE GAP


IRONING YOUR FOLD WILL KEEP IT PERFECTLY STRAIGHT

LONG STRAIGHT STITCHES AND YOU ARE DONE!
SEE SUPER EASY.
 
 

And I did say I made something special for the youngest grandbaby.



Awe .. so sad
 
Much better ..
 
I used the same pattern as last time and like last time I sewed down the felt nose and did large French knots for eyes. Oh and I also added lavender scent by dabbing a cotton ball and putting it in the tummy before sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment