Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Wolves Are Everywhere!

OK so there are no wolves here in Phoenix (coyotes yes ... but no wolves). But there are wolves in my TV.  I received my two Netflix movies "The Grey" and "Breaking Dawn Part 1" and I have to say that disagreeing with critics is what I do best (well maybe closer to 4th best ... LOL)

First up "The Grey" (2012) ... this film is about a team of Alaskan oil workers whose plane crashes out in the middle of nowhere. They learn quickly that surviving the elements and each other is the easy part ... the hard part might be surviving the pack of wolves that have made them their prey. Mr. and I have been enjoying Liam Neeson's movies since the 80s with 'Excalibur' and  'Next of Kin' (which we were in our teens) but 'Schindler's List' really put him on the map in our eyes ... it was such a wonderfully played role. And that leads me to say sadly that this wasn't a favorite movie of his ... it wasn't the worst ( I think 'Clash of the Titans' was) I know that with all the positive ratings it received (Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 79%) this movie was going to be like 'Frozen' or 'The Thing' but I was quite disappointed.  But IF you have gotten caught up on allll your chores and the weather is too much to bear, then yes go ahead and enjoy the winter wonderland scenery and daydream of cooler tempatures but know it is what it is.           


Last but not least "Breaking Dawn Part 1" ... first part of the last book in the Twilight series (as if I needed to explain) ... in this movie it starts to get to the life after high school ~ the wedding that everyone has been anticipating (well at least this year) and watching Bella and Edward adjust to married life and Jacob's new role in their lives. Rotten Tomatoes gave this movie a 25% ... 25%!!! Really!?) The visual is still holding up ... the CGI was introduced subtly but know I did take just an itsy bitsy pleasure in seeing Bella not looking so pretty. I actually watched it twice ... the first time I was it in conjunction with 'Eclipse' so that I wouldn't miss any subtle sub-plots and then the second time was with the director's audio commentary, that I do recommend to do if you can ... there were a few things that I missed the first time, so I was glad that I spent the extra time. I know some fans might disagree with me but I also believe part of their disappointment lies with the fact that it is HALF a movie ... it runs a bit slow (not ALOT of action scenes) and there are still loose ends that should be tied up with the last movie which should be out sometime in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment