Thursday, May 16, 2013

Camping!

This weekend we are hitching the 'ol RV and going camping! I loooooove my RV ~ Mr and I are not the backpacking roughing the wild kinda people.... we are more the let's go for a hike, then sit outside under the stars and sleep indoors in a bed kinda  people. We haven't really used our RV too often but 'this is the year that we will try to go out ATLEAST once a month' ... yea - well it is good to have goals. One of our favorite places to go is Dead Horse Ranch State Park ~ I know the name is terrible ~ we have been there for day trips ... it is about 10* cooler and only 1 1/2 hrs to get there so doing a quick weekend excursion should be easy ... right? On our last day trip we drove the whole park checking out which spots will be good for us ... not too close to the bathrooms/showers, a mountain view would be nice, easy to pull in/out of and away from the crowds (this isn't Havasu so there is no party scene ... mostly families). So we reserved our spot and now the prepping begins.

 First thing first is ourselves ... clothes, bug repellent and food are at the top of the list. Shorts with tons of pockets, Ts and new shoes. We went to two stores before I found them in the least likely place. We went into a sporting goods store ... which I did find a plethora of women hiking shoes starting in the high $80s (they were on sale) but most were made of leather (I guess for long term wearability) .... and EVERRRYBOOOODY knows my stance on leather. The next store was just a regular shoe store and they didn't have women's hiking books ~ just guys ... hmmm weird right? But I did find a cute wedge but I didn't get them. *sadness* So we decided to go shopping at Walmart (shhhhh don't tell anyone) and pick up food and clothes. We walked thru the shoe section just in the off-chance that we could find something. And we did .. Mr found some boots for him for $25 (they were on sale) and again no women hiking boots. By now I have decided to buy guy boots but all the 'cuter' ones were made of leather but I spotted a pair that are man made, so I grabbed a pair and started to try them on. While I was on the ground trying on boys boots it gave me horrible flashbacks as to when I was a kid always having to get boys tennis shoes because my feet are wide and the girls shoes wouldn't fit right. *tears* And when I was walking around determining the fit I found them ... women's hiking boots!!!! They were on the side of the isle and were on sale for ...... drum roll please ..... $10!! No kidding! I mean they might not last forever but I am a novice hiker, I don't know what to look for in a good pair of boots. So I snagged them the only problem with them is that they are not attractive ... not even a little. They look like boys black high top tennis shoes. *gross* I will let you know if they are worth the price. With a quick pickup of new socks, Ts and baggy shorts (for hiking you don't want shorts that can split on you). We are off to get bug spray.

I have found some interesting natural bug spray recipes on-line but some take a week for the items to cure (but I will let you know how it goes) so Mr just plopped in the basket a bottle of 'Off' ... to my horror ... but he isn't as concern about the DEET as I am but more concerned about not getting bit up by mosquitos and here in Phoenix the mosquitos carry the West Nile virus. So until I give him an alternative ... I gave him his spray. Compromise .. that is what marriage is all about. It is the new clean feel and it has a decent enough scent.

Last was food, we do like our 'road trip' food ... chips, chips and crackers .... mostly starchy items since my Prince and I get car sick ... ICK!! This time we chose pretzels and a black bean chip to eat with sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment