Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Few Minor Repairs

OK - So God doesn't want me to go to the Renaissance Fair. It has been raining something crazy like 8 out of the 11 weekends this year. So to occupy my time I have been - um - correcting some of my crocheted items. This sweater is sooooo super soft - it is tunic style, I used both single & double stitch (I made the body vertical and the sleeves horizontal for a different look) and I made it without a pattern & since I used baby yarn it streeeetches. So I shortened the sleeves to it falls about 2 inches above my wrist (so my watch doesn't snag on it) and I binded the neck to have more of a finish and now it is perfect!
 
 

sleeve detail
 
Next were the slippers which I have always enjoyed (this did come from a pattern) which had a whole on the bottom of one and the other starting to fray but the bottom and the sides were connected (so I couldn't just replace the soles without ruining  the slippers) so out they went and I created a new pair. Using left over blue yarn from the last slipper project I made it double soled for more cushion and then created the top a bit wider across the top and higher on the heel. I was going to make these like a pair of Mary Jane's with a strap (I think I'll try those next) but I just ended up with a regular clog style. These also have narrow elastic around the back part (in the white) so it fits more snug and doesn't slip off the heel. And I added fun flowers on the top. So far I am very pleased. Not award winning - just comfy!


 
One of the few things I believe in is to learn how to make things - create it with my own two hands. It doesn't matter if it isn't perfect - the only thing that matters is that I accomplished it. I cook very poorly (stir on low until simmer - that's not for me - thank God my Mr. is a GREAT cook), I bake well, I crochet and sew decently, the only thing I can do respectably are my bracelets (and those you'll get to see soon) but at least I try. Somewhere along the way people's fear of being judged blocks them from creating from the soul and that is very sad. My first projects were baby blankets that my sweet daughter has in her new apartment and still uses 20 years later. So pick up a ball of yarn, create something and share it with me. I won't judge - I promise. 
 
*Deut 15:10 ...your God will bless you in every deed of yours and in every undertaking of yours.*

No comments:

Post a Comment